Catholic Charities’ Leland House provides permanent placement and comprehensive on-site residential care to San Francisco residents who have disabling HIV/AIDS, are of low income, homeless, and most of whom struggle with major psychiatric disorders and substance use challenges.
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) will provide assistance to residents in need with activities of daily living (ADL’s) and observe for changes in residents’ health status on an ongoing basis. The shifts are 8-hour days, evenings, nights, and/or weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, Program Director, Clinical Director, or other health-care professional, provides paraprofessional health care and living assistance to residents in a structured residential setting (as distinguished from a home-care setting).
- Ensure that clients’ care plans are carried out.
- Check and monitor vital signs as required.
- Provide assistance with activities of daily living (i.e., bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, skin care, laundry and room cleaning).
- Perform light housekeeping, shopping or errands for the clients when needed.
- Assist clients with self-administration of medications including documentation and inventory.
- Ensure that medications are taken by residents and notify appropriate personnel or support staff when residents exhibit special medical needs.
- Filling out Unusual Incident/Injury Reports (UIIR) as needed.
- Ongoing maintenance of patient charts and files.
- Accompany residents to medical appointments when necessary.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training.
- Observe and report any changes in clients' health status to the RN on an ongoing basis.
- Assist with clients feeding, meal preparation and clean up.
- Assist in emergency medical situations.
- Maintain supply areas in good order.
- Daily charting and filing.
- Maintain the supply of all forms.
- Maintain confidentiality around client information and files.
- Read the communication log daily.
- Check personal mail box, voicemail box and email daily.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Educational requirements include equivalent to a high school diploma and certification in California as a Nurse Assistant. Some work experience after gaining CNA certification is desirable, as is experienced in working with the specific residential population to be served.
- Ongoing continuing education to maintain certification, as outlined by the Nursing Assistant Certification Section of Department of Health Services.
- CPR Certification required prior to position entry.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Skills include sensitivity to the resident population, including the ability to listen actively and assess medical conditions.
- Ability to interact with the residents and listen actively
- Crisis intervention and management - Basic de-escalation techniques
- Skills in understanding and following oral and written directions and in working cooperatively in a team environment; and sufficient written communication skill to maintain patient charts and files.
- Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge, and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in a cross-cultural situation.
Compensation & Benefits:
We’re looking to find the best talent in the field – and we aim to keep it! Beyond providing competitive compensation based on education and experience, here’s what else we offer:
- A generous amount of vacation time/PTO – We value your self-care!
- Medical, Dental, & Vision
- Wellness Program – Get cash for voluntary health screenings and meeting health goals!
- 401 (k) Plan – We offer an employer match!
- Commuter Checks – Save money when you use public transportation!
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, legal domicile status, veteran status, disability or AIDS/HIV status or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.