Catholic Charities Peter Claver Community is a comprehensive medical residence for chronically homeless individuals living with disabling HIV/AIDS. Opened in 1985, the program marked one of the earliest attempts by any organization to aggressively serve those sick and dying from HIV/AIDS. Catholic Charities Peter Claver Community provides permanent placement and comprehensive care to 32 San Francisco residents who have to disable HIV/AIDS, are very low income, homeless and/or struggle with major psychiatric disorders or substance abuse challenges. To minimize the utilization of hospital emergency rooms, crisis services, and other publicly funded health systems, the staff is able to address most problems on-site.
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) will provide assistance to residents in need with activities of daily living and observe for changes in residents’ health status on an ongoing basis. The shifts are 8-hour days, evening, nights, and/or weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe and report any changes in clients’ health status to the RN on an ongoing basis.
- Provide assistance with activities of daily living (i.e., bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, skin care).
- Perform light housekeeping, shopping or errands for the clients when needed.
- Accompany clients to medical appointments when necessary.
- Assist with clients feeding, meal preparation and clean up.
- Assist residents with self-administered medications.
- Check vital signs as required.
- Assist in emergency medical situations.
- Maintain supply areas in good order.
- Daily charting and filing.
- Maintain the supply of all forms.
- Read the communication log daily.
- Check personal box daily.
- Attend and participate in case conferences and staff meetings.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Educational requirements include equivalent to a high school diploma and certification in California as a Certified Nursing Assistant. Some work experience after gaining CNA certification is desirable, as inexperience in working with the specific residential population to be served.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Ongoing continuing education to maintain certification, as outlined by the Nursing Assistant Certification Section of Department of Health Services.
- Experience with HIV, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Skills include sensitivity to the resident population, including the ability to listen actively and assess medical conditions.
- Crisis intervention and management.
- Basic de-escalation techniques.
- Skills in understanding and following oral and written directions and in working cooperatively in a team environment; and sufficient written communication skill to maintain patient charts and files.
- Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge, and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in cross-cultural situations.
Compensation & Benefits:
We’re looking to find the best talent in the field – and we aim to keep it! Beyond providing competitive compensation based on education and experience, here’s what else we offer:
- A generous amount of vacation time/PTO – We value your self-care!
- Medical, Dental, & Vision
- Wellness Program – Get cash for voluntary health screenings and meeting health goals!
- 401 (k) Plan – We offer an employer match!
- Commuter Checks – Save money when you use public transportation!
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, legal domicile status, veteran status, disability or AIDS/HIV status or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.