Registered Nurse (RN) Wound, Ostomy, Continence Clinical Specialist
- Responsible for development and implementation of orientation, education, and training activities for agency regarding the care of patients with identified wound/ostomy/continence needs.
- Provides consultation to all nursing staff participating in the delivery of care to clients with wounds, stomas, and continence issues.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of current operational policies and procedure related to the specialty program.
- Participates in the selection of nursing specialty candidates for employment when indicated.
- Collaborates with the Quality Management staff to design, monitor, and evaluate the continuous quality improvement process, in addition to risk management components of the clinical program. Conferences, joint visits with, and convenes specialty team on a monthly basis to evaluate and update program.
- A willingness to participate in research projects based on data generated from the continuous quality improvement program and clinical observations.
- Educate the nurse generalists and health team members about technical, cognitive, and clinical developments emerging for the home care client.
- Act as liaison with the medical community at large regarding related agency Nursing programs.
- Perform direct care and documentation for select clients and caregivers that require specialist expertise and meets specified productivity.
- Participates in the development of a multidisciplinary and inter-organizational plan of service in order to provide appropriate therapy for patient assignment.
- Consults with supervisory staff in order to provide appropriate patient assignment to the wound team.
- Participates on agency committees that are assigned.
- A valid NYS Professional RN’s license.
- Satisfactory completion of a WOCN accredited Nursing Education Program.
- At least 2 years nursing experience as a Professional RN; experience as a Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse (CWOCN) or Wound Ostomy Nurse (CWON).
- Current board certification in CWON or CWOCN.
- With training provided, must demonstrate the ability to learn and utilize new systems, computer applications and operating environments as necessary.
- A valid New York State Driver’s License and the ability to pass a driver’s license record background check.
Required: NY - RN or better in Assoc Nursing.
Preferred: NY - RN or better in Bach Nursing.
About the Area
Rochester is a city on the southern shore of Lake Ontario in western New York. Rochester is the seat of Monroe County and the third most populous city in New York state. It is home to numerous cultural institutions and hosts a number of festivals every year. One is the Lilac Festival that is held for ten days every May, when nearly 400 varieties of lilacs bloom, and 100,000 visitors arrive. You can find hiking, fishing, boating, kayaking, camping, motocross, skiing, tubing, skating, and so much more. 1.5 hours west is Niagara Falls. We are also close to the Finger Lakes and wine country, the Adirondack Mountains and a short drive to Toronto, Canada.